Word Art Wednesday – Things I Love
I participated in a seminar for writers last night. It was hosted by Delve Writing – anyone interested in learning the craft of writing should really check them out (Thanks Mardra for introducing me to them). This particular session was about “voice.” One of the prompts was to write 15 specific things you love in three minutes. You were supposed to write fast, off the top of your head. (Try it – it’s interesting) The only rule was that you couldn’t just say – I love my spouse, child, or family – it had to be something specific. Here’s my list:
- I love my son’s laugh that is contagious.
- I love the way my cat HAS to sit in my lap whenever I’m talking
- I love the taste of a very cold fresh Diet coke
- I love the variety of colors in a rainbow
- I love how Eeyore represents how I feel about myself without having to explain it
- I love when someone says “I get it” to something I’ve written about Ds
- I love the feeling of nostalgia that I get from certain old songs that take me back to a specific time and place
- I love the melted cheese on top of a pizza
- I love when my mother and I say the exact same thing at the same time
- I love when my brother laughs at my jokes because he knows where they come from
- I love the feeling of accomplishment when I learn something new
- I love the smell of black cherry incense
- I love the cool feeling of the underside of my pillow
- I love sounds from a good sax riff, powerful guitar lead and killer harmonies
- I love the pride I feel when Josh expresses his gratitude
The idea was that from this short exercise, you could begin to get a sense of your voice: what inspires and motivates you as a person and a writer. It’s interesting to me that several of my “loves” were about connections with people who understand me and relate to what I say/write. Something I wouldn’t have expected since I’m pretty much a introvert (hermit). I put the words in a cloud using Tagxedo to have a visual representation that I can look at from time to time and feel inspired.
Take three minutes and make your own list. Feel free to share in the comments if you like, I’d love to see what others come up with. Were there any themes? Surprises?